How do I remove stamps from envelopes?
wish, you can save whole envelopes with stamps on them and store them anywhere -- from shoe boxes to special albums. But if
you want to remove stamps from envelopes, it pays to be careful. The best way to remove stamps from envelopes is to soak them.
- Tear or cut off the upper right-hand corner of the envelope.
- Place it, stamp side down, in a small pan of warm water. After a few minutes, the stamp will sink to the bottom.
- Wait a few more minutes for any remaining gum to dislodge from the stamp.
- Lift the stamp out with tongs (a metal tool, like tweezers) if you have a pair. It's better to handle stamps with tongs
because oil from your skin can damage stamps.
- Place the stamp between two paper towels and put a heavy object, such as a book, on top. This will keep the stamp from
curling as it dries. Leave the stamp there overnight.
- If the stamp is a newer one with "invisible" gum, dry it face down with nothing touching the back and flatten it later
if necessary. Otherwise, it may stick to the paper towel when drying.